Friday, September 12, 2008

Another look at Gary Pruitt

I presume you all found the Sacramento News & Review profile of Gary and the company through the link off Romenesko yesterday, so I didn't highlight it here. Apparently it sparked another blog comment at Reuters that somebody sent to me. You can find it here as Rolling stones with McClatchy's Pruitt:

A taste:

McClatchy Chief Executive Gary Pruitt is one of those newspaper executives a reporter can get along well with because of qualities that are not always common to your typical CEO:

He leaves the jargon behind at interviews.

He is honest about bad news, making it easier to believe him when he delivers good news.

He believes in the product — good journalism — as fervently as he does in his duty to please shareholders (which in McClatchy’s case includes the company’s namesake family and a bunch of other unhappy people).

Trouble is, there isn’t much good news to tell about the newspaper business.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't doubt that it is the worst year of Pruitt's life, but don't know how that necessarily means he's feeling employees' pain.

And: so over the Stones thing!

Anonymous said...

Well I just have to say. Since poor little Gary took a 20% pay cut I just can't feel sorry for someone who STILL makes more in one week than 98% of the McClatchy workers who actually DO work make in an entire year. Fact of the matter is, whether you knowingly put a company in a bad position or it happens because of things you were unprepared for when you're paid over $5 million a year you shouldn't be given a salary deduction, you should be shown the door. Just remember Gary..."You can't always get what you want...."

Anonymous said...

So Howard, be honest, how many posts are you censoring? I know of at least three people from my paper who posted and they are yet to be seen. Of course, this won't make it either. Protect your pal, he needs it.

Anonymous said...

howard< I find it hard to believe no one has commented on that article in three days...I guess, as I have figured your censoring all the comments. but that's okay....you gotta protect your ass...sad sad sad........and might I add pathetic

Robert MacMillan said...

At least somebody's reading my blog...

Anna Haynes said...

AJR on Pruitt, plus a lot of McClatchy history